Monday, April 28, 2008

Intelligently Designed, My Left Nut!

I was thinking about this the other day, and I managed to come up with a list of personal evidence for the fact that we are not intelligently designed. If we are, our designer is either a dick or a lazy bastard.
  1. Baby Teeth: My daughter's teeth are coming in, and they're very cute. However, they are useless, and often inconvenient. Almost every baby gets their incisors first, followed by canines and then molars. Incisors are for cutting, canines for tearing, and molars for grinding. For a largely immobile and completely dependent organism, one that can't hunt, for instance, are incisors or canines really a priority? Shouldn't the molars come in first? I can easily provide and cook her food, and I can even cut it for her, and I suppose I could chew it for her. For hundreds of thousands of years, humans have provided their young with food, but we've only had food processors for a half century or so (unless you count slaves). Reducing food to a pulpy, easily swallowed texture would have a huge survival benefit. If her molars were in, she's be far less likely to choke. Further, any woman who has breastfed could point out another benefit to having molars come in first.
  2. Male Pattern Baldness: I don't miss my hair. However, what kind of designer makes men who can grow hair on virtually every part of their body except the top of the head? How is it intelligent to have testosterone, which is responsible for triggering some follicles to start, trigger the ones you've always had to stop?
  3. Myopia: Why are so many of us destined for corrective lenses if god made my eyes? Why did write that little gem into my recipe?
  4. Sex: Why is my asshole so close to my fun zone?
  5. Testicles: I'm actually quite fond of my testicles. They've provided me (and a few others) with hours of free entertainment, the means to grow a goatee, and a daughter. That's not my issue. My issue is with placement. What kind of a fucked up sadist puts such important and delicate machines on the outside of the body, and not INSIDE the pelvis? And why do you design them so that they will specifically not work at body temperature? And if sperm can't survive at body temperature, why do we hat to put sperm inside a woman whose temperature is likely close to ours (and elevated if you're doing it right), in order to have the little guys search for days to find a single cell?

We are clearly not intelligently designed. Until fairly recently, we were just getting by.

No comments: