Friday, May 16, 2008

Favourite Cover Tunes, ep. 1

First, if you're an American, I didn't spell favourite wrong. You do.

Second, I know I promised this a while ago and never delivered, but this is my gig and I get to do what I want. I have dial-up at work, so this would be interminable.

Anyway, I know you've all been waiting with bated breath (spelled that right, too), so here it is...

Cover Tunes That Are Superior To The Original Recordings

Let's begin with a classic. Elvis. "Suspicious Minds", covered by the Fine Young Cannibals:



I don't know what it is about this version, but FYC is in fine form in this one. The video's kinda neat, too, with the guitar player writhing around like they're on e. And Roland Gift looks crazy, and I really dig his voice.


Second, we get a little CanCon. The Philosopher Kings covering Godley & Creme's "Cry". This is a live version, because they released no video for this. Which is too bad, because they did a couple of sweet videos (I've included "You Stepped On My Life" as evidence).



...and part two...



In addition to having a really smart name, they're a fine R&B/jazz band, and they have composed some of the best sex music ever written. Before I show you "You Stepped On My Life", here's some unbridled horniness which is hot and a bit gross at the same time, much like sex itself.



Who knew snails could be sexy, except to other snails. I also have a bit of man-crush on Gerald Eaton. If I were gay...



Bonus points for having a cool figure skating video.

That's probably enough for now. I owe you eight more. Hopefully, I'll be able to stay more focused in the future. Coming up, Leonard Cohen!

No comments: