Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Ray Comfort

I find religious people fascinating, as I'm sure you know. Particularly religious people who are always looking for proof of god, Jesus, of Creation, of the Bible, the Quran, the Vedas or Vedantas, or the writings of L. Ron Hubbard.

Not to mock Hubbard, because while he was a mediocre writer, he was a hell of a business man.

I get emails from ChristianWorldviewNetwork.com about daily, chiefly because I think their funny. If you'll recall the BREAKING NEWS about GAY SEX, you'll know what I mean. In addition to being a spectacularly ugly website, it's also full of all kinds of fun, including the latest offering from Ray Comfort (who apparently thinks of himself as Einstein):

A Marvel of Incredible Technology -Ray Comfort

Have you ever taken the time to study closely the human hand? Let’s set aside the issue of whether or not it happened by a process of evolution or was the result of intelligent design, and just look at it for what it is. The hand is a marvel of incredible technology. It is fearfully and wonderfully made. It can be used for brute force, like the wielding of a hammer, down to the intricate threading of a tiny needle.
I read the same thing about an elephant's trunk once. There's a delicate and loving description of the hand, and then this barf:
So if evolution is responsible for our hands and the rest of creation, we should fall at its wondrous feet in absolute homage. We should praise and adore it, and live in admiration of its power and ability. We are morally obliged to fall in worship, for its goodness in giving us the awe-inspiring gift of life. It is only right that we love evolution with all of our heart, mind, soul and strength.

Many do. It’s called “idolatry.”
WTF? I don't believe in god, so I worship an idol? Did you really pull that old Chesterton nut from your pocket? Do you think that'll help?

Apparently Ray doesn't know what's going on, either:

An Unspeakable Tragedy

The other day I saw a homeless man lying on the sidewalk. I didn’t stop to give him any money because I thought he might be insane. He sure looked it. Besides, he would probably use it for buying alcohol or cigarettes. But I began to think about my thoughts. Were they just excuses? How horrible if the man was insane. Imagine, being tormented by a sick mind. I concluded that he may have needed money more than a sane person.
No. I didn't edit anything out, aside from that erotic hand thing. It gave me whiplash, too. I guess the whole thing is just another cheap shot at unbelievers. "Not from Ray Comfort!" you say. Well, yes. I'm sorry:

I asked if he would like to get cleaned up, get a job, and have a roof over his head. I would pay for everything. Think of it--clean clothes, a job, and a warm room in a hotel. Robert went very quiet for a long time. I repeated my offer. He mumbled, "I’m thinking . . . " A moment later, he shook his head.

It turned out that he didn’t mind his filth, that he got a pension from the government, and he got his clothes from a goodwill store (many years ago, by the look and smell of them). I then shared the gospel with him, and left him on the sidewalk.

I was so disappointed. How sad that a human being chose to live like that, sitting in his own filth. He was so used it. I guess it seemed to be right and normal for him to do so.

The unbeliever is the same as Robert. He is like the prodigal Son (see Luke 15:11-32), as he sits in the filth of his sins thinking that his unclean desires are normal and right. Yet through the gospel God offers to wash him clean of his sins, give him a purpose in existence, and put and eternal roof over his head. Yet he chooses death over life, darkness over light, Hell over Heaven, all because he loves his sin and hates righteousness. What an unspeakable tragedy.
Maybe he just didn't want your shitty minimum wage job.
I feel so tragic. And filthy. And purposeless. And homeless.

No comments: